The UNSW Advanced Techniques in Remote Sensing (GEOS3811) course and Remote Sensing Applications (GEOS9012) course is designed to refresh basic concepts and environmental applications of remote sensing. It concerns advanced techniques for data processing with a focus on land surface dynamics. The course introduces different platforms (satellites, planes, drones) sensors (photogrammetry, multispectral, radar) and analysis technique (image segmentation and programming).
You’ll analyse Earth observation data across a variety of spatial resolutions and applications such as geography, ecology and geoscience. The course is conducted through a combination of lectures, computer laboratories and fieldwork.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Understand various sensor systems and platforms for acquiring remotely sensed data, and their potential and limitations for environmental applications
- Plan and conduct fieldwork necessary to validate remote sensing products
- Demonstrate proficiency and conceptual understanding in using software to implement remote sensing techniques for data processing and analysis
- Interpret, synthesise and apply that knowledge to produce new applied research in a selected thematic area (vegetation, land use, soils, geology, water resources)
Conditions for Enrolment
Assumed knowledge includes Introduction to GIS and Remote Sensing (GEOS2821) or an equivalent course with related knowledge.
Data Science and Statistics is a multidisciplinary field of study that blends mathematical methods, statistics, computing, business decisions and communication. Data Scientists translate user data into insights that help companies understand their audience and personalise their products or services. Uncovering new insights and predicting trends has become vital in the retail, environmental, not-for-profit, IT and professional services sector. Career opportunities span across many industries from startups to established corporations including Coles, Airbnb, Spotify, Netflix and Greenpeace.
- Data Scientist
- Data Analyst
- Risk Analyst
- Database Administrator
- Business Systems Analyst
- Forecast Modeler
- Market and Survey Researcher
- Big Data Engineer