How do competitive interactions shape the ecology, population dynamics, and traits of species and communities? I use a combination of maths, computer models, and large data sets to test fundamental ideas about the processes shaping biological communities. I am passionate about science, open data, reproducible research, and teaching biologists to code. My current focus is on predicting the distribution of plant types found across the Australian continent from first principles, using evolutionary models.
- Reproducible research in R with remake [2016, conference talk]. Sydney Bioinformatics Research Symposium. slides
- The challenge of combining 176 x #otherpeoplesdata to create the Biomass And Allometry Database (BAAD) [2016, conference talk]. UseR (Stanford, USA). slides video
- The plant package for R [2016, webinar]. Webinar ‘Demography beyond the population’. slides video
- The challenge of combining 176 x #otherpeoplesdata to create the Biomass And Allometry Database (BAAD) [2015, conference talk]. Ecological Society of Australia (Adelaide). slides
- Towards a theory of plant trait diversity [2015, invited plenary]. Ecological Society of Australia (Adelaide). slides
- Trait-based approaches in plant ecology: towards a theory of form and function [2013, invited plenary]. Trait-based approaches to Ocean Life (Copenhagen). slides
- Growth trajectories: a new way of understanding the influence of traits on plant growth [2013, conference talk]. Intecol (London). slides
Multitrait successional forest dynamics enable diverse competitive coexistence
Falster DS, Brännström Å, Westoby M, Dieckmann U (2017) Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 114: E2719-E2728.
doi: 10.1073/pnas.1610206114 preprint: 10.1101/014605 code: github Times cited: 3
Trajectories: how functional traits influence plant growth and shade tolerance across the life-cycle
Falster DS, Duursma RA, FitzJohn RG (2016) bioRxiv: 083451.
doi: 10.1101/083451 code: github
Leaf mass per area, not total leaf area, drives differences in above-ground biomass distribution among woody plant functional types
Duursma RA, Falster DS (2016) New Phytologist 212: 368–376.
doi: 10.1111/nph.14033 preprint: 10.1101/025361 code: github Times cited: 1
On the link between functional traits and growth rate: meta-analysis shows effects change with plant size, as predicted
Gibert A, Gray EF, Westoby M, Wright IJ, Falster DS (2016) Journal of Ecology 104: 1488-1503.
doi: 10.1111/1365-2745.12594 code: github Times cited: 3
plant: A package for modelling forest trait ecology & evolution
Falster DS, FitzJohn RG, Brännström Å, Dieckmann U, Westoby M (2016) Methods in Ecology and Evolution 7: 136-146.
doi: 10.1111/2041-210X.12525 R package: github.com/traitecoevo/plant code: github Times cited: 3
Plant functional traits have globally consistent effects on competition
Kunstler G, Falster D, Coomes DA, Hui F, Kooyman RM, Laughlin DC + 30 more (2016) Nature 529: 204–207.
doi: 10.1038/nature16476 Times cited: 61
The Coral Trait Database: a curated database of trait information for coral species from the global oceans
Madin JS, Andreasen MH, Bridge T, CairnsX S, Connolly SR, Darling E + 19 more (2016) Scientific Data: 160017.
A trait-based approach to advance coral reef science
Madin JS, Hoogenboom MO, Connolly SR, Darling ES, Falster DS, Huang D + 5 more (2016) Trends in Ecology & Evolution: published online.
BAAD: a Biomass And Allometry Database for woody plants
Falster DS, Duursma RA, Ishihara MI, Barneche DR, FitzJohn RG, Vårhammar A + 90 more (2015) Ecology 96: 1445.
doi: 10.1890/14-1889.1 data: Ecological Archives E096-128-D1 R package: baad.data code: github.com/dfalster/baad Times cited: 22
Quantifying and understanding reproductive allocation schedules in plants
Wenk E, Falster D (2015) Ecology and Evolution 5: 5521-5538.
doi: 10.1002/ece3.1802 preprint: 10.1101/008508 Times cited: 11
Functional distinctiveness of major plant lineages
Cornwell WK, Westoby M, Falster DS, FitzJohn R, O’Meara B, Pennell MW + 20 more (2014) Journal of Ecology 102: 345-356.
doi: 10.1111/1365-2745.12208 R package: ksi Times cited: 45
smatr 3 – an R package for estimation and inference about allometric lines
Warton DI, Duursma RA, Falster DS, Taskinen S (2012) Methods in Ecology and Evolution 3: 257-259.
doi: 10.1111/j.2041-210X.2011.00153.x R package: smatr Times cited: 323
An evolutionary attractor model for sapwood cross section in relation to leaf area
Westoby M, Cornwell WK, Falster DS (2012) Journal of Theoretical Biology 303: 98-109.
doi: 10.1016/j.jtbi.2012.03.008 code: 10.6084/m9.figshare.1005160 Times cited: 6
Influence of four major plant traits on average height, leaf-area cover, net primary productivity, and biomass density in single-species forests: a theoretical investigation
Falster DS, Brännström Å, Dieckmann U, Westoby M (2011) Journal of Ecology 99: 148-164.
doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2745.2010.01735.x Times cited: 74
A general model for the scaling of offspring size and adult size
Falster DS, Moles AT, Westoby M (2008) American Naturalist 172: 299-317.
doi: 10.1086/589889 code: 10.6084/m9.figshare.1094315 Times cited: 38
Cross-species patterns in the coordination between leaf and stem traits, and their implications for plant hydraulics
Wright IJ, Falster DS, Pickup M, Westoby M (2006) Physiologia Plantarum 127: 445-456.
link: dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-3054.2006.00699.x Times cited: 82
Plant ecological strategies: some leading dimensions of variation between species
Westoby M, Falster DS, Moles AT, Vesk P, Wright IJ (2002) Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33: 125-159.
doi: 10.1146/annurev.ecolsys.33.010802.150452 Times cited: 1610
Data from: On the link between functional traits and growth rate: meta-analysis shows effects change with plant size, as predicted
Gibert A, Gray EF, Westoby M, Wright IJ, Falster DS (2016) Dryad Digital Repository.
Data from: The Coral Trait Database: a curated database of trait information for coral species from the global oceans
Madin JS, Andreasen MH, Bridge T, CairnsX S, Connolly SR, Darling E + 19 more (2016) Figshare.
Data from: BAAD: a Biomass And Allometry Database for woody plants
Falster DS, Duursma RA, Ishihara MI, Barneche DR, FitzJohn RG, Vårhammar A + 90 more (2015) Ecological Archives: E096-128-D1.
link: www.esapubs.org/archive/ecol/E096/128/ R package: baad.data code: github.com/dfalster/baad
Australian individual tree biomass library, version 1.0
Paul KI, Adams M, Applegate G, Attiwill P, Baker T, Barton C + 42 more (2015) AEKOS.
doi: 10.4227/05/57354015127B8 abstract:
Individual tree and shrub above-ground biomass (dry weight), stem diameter, height, and associated auxiliary information about the sites from which the trees or shrubs were sampled.
Data from: Angiosperm wood structure: Global patterns in vessel anatomy and their relation to wood density and potential conductivity
Zanne AE, Westoby M, Falster DS, Ackerly DD, Loarie SR, Arnold SE + 1 more (2010) Dryad Digital Repository.
Code and data from: A general model for the scaling of offspring size and adult size
Falster DS, Moles AT, Westoby M (2008) Figshare.
Data from: Tradeoffs between height growth rate, stem persistence and maximum height among plant species in a post-fire succession
Falster DS (2005) Github.
Data from: Small-seeded plants produce more seeds per square metre of canopy per year, but not per individual per lifetime
Moles AT, Falster DS, Leishman M, Westoby M (2004) Journal of Ecology Supplementary material.
Data from: Leaf size and angle vary widely across species: what consequences for light interception?
Falster DS, Westoby M (2003) New Phytologist: 158.
- plant (2016) A package for modelling forest trait ecology and evolution (with Rich FitzJohn). github.com/traitecoevo/plant.
- baad.data (2015) Biomass And Allometry Database (with Rich FitzJohn). github.com/traitecoevo/baad.data.
- clusterous (2016) A command line tool for cluster computing on Amazon Web Services (led by SIRCA). github.com/SIRCA/clusterous.
- stateliner (2015) An R interface to the stateline MCMC engine for R via docker (with Rich FitzJohn). github.com/traitecoevo/stateliner.
- rrqueue (2015) Scalable distributed job queues with R and Redis (led by Rich FitzJohn). github.com/traitecoevo/rrqueue.
- dockertest (2015) Generate dockerfiles and containers from R package metadata, remake files or from minimal yaml configuration (led by Rich FitzJohn). github.com/traitecoevo/dockertest.
- experimentr (2015) Control large computational experiments on multiprocessor machines or on HPC infrastructure (led by Rich FitzJohn). github.com/traitecoevo/experimentr.
- smatr v3 (2012) Bivariate line-fitting methods for allometry (with David Warton, Remko Duursma). cran.r-project.org/web/packages/smatr/ Times cited: 323.
- smatr v2 (2006) Bivariate line-fitting methods for allometry. www.bio.mq.edu.au/ecology/SMATR Times cited: NA.