Off-site travel / Fieldwork

The risk management and notification process required for Off-site travel / Fieldwork activities are described in broad terms in HS917 Fieldwork Procedure.

Important: The School of BEES uses SafeSys for the creation and approval of ALL Risk Management Forms and Safe Work Procedures.  For "higher than low" risk Off-site travel / Fieldwork then a SafeSys "Activity" is used to assemble RMF's, SWP's, and other relevant documents, in one place and under one document number.

Field WorkPlanning, Approval and Notification – 2 sections

Section 1 - Fieldwork planning and approval FPP (SafeSys)

FPP - Approval for fieldwork is applied for and documented by creating an Activity in SafeSys that draws together in one place the relevant risk management form (RMF’s), safe work procedures (SWP’s), and any other required or useful documents.

Once an Activity has been approved, simply quote the Activity reference in your fieldwork notification (see B).  


  • In Activity you can list all your participants and attach a detailed itinerary or leave those sections blank and include it in your fieldwork notification email – this must be done the method is yours to decide.

  • SafeSys allows you to keep track of the people who have read your HS documents.

  • Students on teaching field trips do not generally need to read the HS documents but are to be provided a safety briefing that covers the risks and controls.

  • You can’t link draft RMF’s and SWP’s to an Activity, they must be approved first.

Section 2 - Fieldwork notification FWN (Email)


Copy To

(HINT - must include all relevant persons!)

all participants INCLUDE:

Research supervisor/s, the call back person or other relevant people – Boat/Dive Officer, Collaborators etc


Fieldtrip notification 20/02/19


SCI-BEES-ACT-Number then ‘Name’


Start Date


Start Time


Finish Date


Finish Time


If detailed start finish is not in the ACTIVITY, please attach/add to the notification

Field Work Leader

If not located on ACTIVITY or Different.

Full Name and Contact Number



If detailed locations are not listed in the ACTIVITY, in the order that you are planning to complete them, please attach or add them to this notification.

** Include Dive Plans etc


If anyone who is going has not been added to the ACTIVITY, please attach or add them to the Fieldwork notification (FWN)

  1. Fieldwork Participant Form HS009 and
  2. HS010 Volunteer Approval Request Form - signed by Head of School or Representative.

Contact Details

Contacts for the following

Fieldwork leader

Accommodation Details

Location Details such as national parks, base locations etc

Vehicles / Others

Using a UNSW / School vehicle is the recommended method.

 *** Private Vehicle use is discouraged and requires approval for use, the vehicle MUST BE fully insured, and copies sent to School. With approval signed via the MV1.

If this has been submitted provide date approved, vehicle used, registration / details DONT FORGET the following:

Boat use - details required so registration / details.

Drone use - registration / details and RECS approval.

Trailer use - registration / details.

Call Back Person

Name AND Phone Number 24/7

Have been trained in emergency response Yes or No - if you advise no then they cannot be your call back person!

Emergency Plans

Provide copy or refer to SafeSys document {insert numbers here}

*** Please ensure all completed documents are submitted at least 3 business days before intended activity/travel.

Other reference material: 

Table 1: List of Off-site travel /Fieldwork planning documents 

Document or Process

Location or method

Document Type

HS917 Fieldwork Procedure

UNSW Procedure

HS406 Fieldwork Guideline

UNSW Guideline

HS009 Fieldwork Participant Form

UNSW Form (all higher than low fieldwork participants)

HS010 Volunteer Approval Request Form

UNSW Form (volunteers only)

Off-site travel /Fieldwork Approval


SafeSys Activity

Off-site travel /Fieldwork Notification

Email (replaces TR1)


Risk Management


SafeSys Risk Management Form

Safe Work Procedure


SafeSys Safe Work Procedure

 HS009 Fieldwork Participant Form:  Off-site travellers/ Fieldworkers use HS009 to communicate current contact and relevant medical information to the fieldwork leader.   HS009 sets out the first aid response plan for any known conditions. A HS009 is not required for low risk fieldwork (see HS917 section 3.4).  Staff, students, collaborators, and volunteers intending to participate in higher than low risk fieldwork must complete, and maintain the currency of the information in, a participant form.  The HS009 is forwarded by the participant to the Fieldwork Leader, or their delegate, to assist with planning and emergency managment. This form is not held by the School.  

HS010 Volunteer Approval Request Form: Where volunteers are involved in off-site travel / fieldwork they must be approved by the supervisor and registered with the School using the HS010 form. 

Emergency plan & communication: See Sections 305 of the HS917 Fieldwork Procedure

Off-site travellers / fieldworkers must have an emergency plan that includes reliable method/s of communication with emergency services whilst in the field. The School has two satellite phones and some portable VHF radios - to book contact the Health and Safety Manager.  Research groups that conduct remote area fieldwork have additional communication devices, such as satellite phones, SpotTrackers,  and Personal Locator Beacons. 

Vehicles: See Section 4 of the HS406 Fieldwork Guideline.

All drivers must have a current licence for the type of vehicle being driven. Four wheel drive training is recommended for all drivers of such vehicles, especially for off-road use.  Staff members who drive buses (> 12 seat) on a field trip must use National Driver Work Diaries (ie light and medium rigid vehicles), and must adhere to mandatory driving hours restrictions.

Medical conditions and Health (including First Aid): See Section 4 of the HS406 Fieldwork Guideline.

Appropriate first aid kits, as determined during the risk management process, are to be taken on field trips.  The School provides several types, which may be borrowed from the School of BEES First Aid Officers or the Health and Safety Manager. The number of participants determines the number of trained first aiders who should be present on a field trip or excursion. On any trip this number should be at least two.

Boating and Diving: See the Boating and Diving pages.  

Electrical Safety:  See section 7.3 of the HS406 Fieldwork Guideline.

All portable electrical equipment to be used in the field must comply with HS418 Portable electrical equipment inspection, testing, and tagging guideline.   Field equipment used in a hostile environment must incorporate a residual current device or be plugged into a circuit which is protected by an RCD.   The School Technical staff can do testing and tagging - please arrange this with theTechnical Services Manager well in advance of commencing fieldwork.