- News, Events
Andy Baker is a Professor in the School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences at UNSW. Andy joined the University in 2010 and is the Director of the Connected Waters Initiative (CWI) Research Centre, UNSW's inter-disciplinary groundwater research centre. Andy’s research interests include karst hydrology and geochemistry; the paleoclimate reconstructions from cave stalagmites; isotope geochemistry; the characterisation of organic matter in rivers, ground waters and engineered systems, including potable and recycled water; and surface and groundwater quality monitoring.
Andy graduated with a degree in Geographical Sciences from the University of Bristol, UK, followed by a PhD in stalagmite paleoclimatology. His subsequent research career has seen him work in karst environments in Europe, Africa and Australia. Andy is an Associate Editor of Water Research, and a scientific steering committee member for the UK Royal Society. He is affiliated to the National Centre for Groundwater Research and Training.
GEOS1211 Environmental Earth Science
GEOS2291 Ground and Surface Water
GEOS3761 Quaternary Environments
GEOS6733 Envrionmental Change
1. Hartland, A., Timms, W., Baker, A., Shutova, Y. and Yu, D., 2012. Measuring dissolved organic carbon d13C in freshwaters using total organic carbon cavity-ring down spectroscopy (TOC-CRDS). Environmental Chemistry Letters. DOI 10.1007/s10311-012-0377-z
2. Singh, S., Henderson, R.K., Baker, A., Stuetz, R.M. and Khan, S.J., 2012. Characterisation of reverse osmosis permeates from municipal recycled water systems using fluorescence spectroscopy: implications for integrity monitoring. Journal of Membrane Science, 421-422, 180-189.
3. Hambly, A.C., Henderson, R.K., Baker, A., Stuetz, R.M., & Khan, S.J., 2012. Cross-connection detection in Australian dual reticulation systems by monitoring inherent fluorescent organic matter. Environmental Technology Reviews, doi: 10.1080/09593330.2012.696724
4. Jex, C.N., Mariethoz, G., Baker, A., Graham, P., Andersen, M.S., Acworth, I., Edwards, N. and Azcurra, C., 2012. Spatially dense drip hydrological monitoring and infiltration behaviour at the Wellington Caves, South East Australia. Int Journal of Speleology, 41(2) 285-298.
5. Baker, A. & Fairchild, I. J. (2012) Drip Water Hydrology and Speleothems. Nature Education Knowledge 3(5):16
6. Spencer, R.G.M., Hernes, P.J., Aufdenkampe, A.K., Baker, A., Gulliver, P., Stubbins, A., Aiken, G.R., Dyda, R.Y., Butler, K.D., Mwamba, V.L., Mangangu, A.M., Wabakanghanzi, J.N. & Six, J., 2012. An Initial Investigation into the Organic Matter Biogeochemistry of the Congo River. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 84, 614-627.
7. Dominguez-Villar, D., Baker, A., Fairchild, I.J. and Edwards, R.L., 2012. A method to anchor floating chronologies in annually laminated speleothems with U-Th dates. Quaternary Geochronology, doi: 10.1016/j.quageo.2012.04.019
8. Baker, A., Bradley, C., Phipps, S., Fischer, M.,Fairchild, I.J., Fuller, L., Spotl, C. and Azcurra, C., 2012. Millennial-scale forward models and pseudoproxies of stalagmite d18O: an example from NW Scotland. Climate of the Past Discussions, 8, 869-907
9. Mariethoz, G., Kelly, B. and Baker, A., 2012. Quantifying the value of laminated stalagmites for paleoclimate reconstructions. Geophsyical Research Letters, 39, L05407. doi:10.1029/2012GL050986
10. Hartland, A., Fairchild, I.J., Lead, J.R., Borsato, A., Baker, A., Frisia, S. & Baalousha, M., 2012. From soil to cave: transport of trace metals by natural organic matter in cave dripwaters. Chemical Geology, 304-305, 68-82.
11. Bieroza, M., Baker, A. and Bridgeman, J., 2012. New data mining and calibration approaches to the assessment of water treatment efficiency. Advances in Engineering Software, 44, 126-135
12. Bieroza, M., Baker, A. and Bridgeman, J., 2012. Exploratory analysis of excitation-emission matrix fluorescence spectra with self-organizing maps – a tutorial. Education for Chemical Engineers, 7, e22-e31.
13. Cumberland, S., Bridgeman, J., Baker, A., Sterling, M. & Ward, D., 2012. Fluorescence spectroscopy as a tool for determining microbial quality in potable water applications. Environmental Technology, 33, 687-693.
14. Baker, A., Gulliver, P., Ascough, P., Roe, J. and Bridgeman, J., 2011. Assessing the effect of sterilization on the radiocarbon signature of freshwater dissolved organic carbon. Radiocarbon, 53, 659-667.
15. Baker, A., Wilson, R., Fairchild, I.J., Franke, J., Spotl, C., Mattey, D., Trouet, V. & Fuller, L., 2011. High resolution ?18O and ?13C records from an annually laminated Scottish stalagmite and relationship with last millennium climate. Global and Planetary Change, 79, 303-311.
16. Bridgeman, J., Bieroza, M. and Baker, A., 2011. The application of fluorescence spectroscopy to organic matter characterisation in drinking water treatment. Reviews in Environmental Science and Biotechnology. 10, 277-290.
17. Mudarra, M., Andreo, B. and Baker, A. 2011. Characterisation of dissolved organic matter in karst spring waters using intrinsic fluorescence: relationship with infiltration processes. Science of the Total Environment, 409, 3448-3462
18. Bieroza, M., Baker, A., Bridgeman, J., 2011. An assessment of low pH coagulation using fluorescence spectroscopy. Journal of Environmental Engineering, 137, 596-601
19. Jex, C.N., Baker, A., Eden, J.M., Eastwood, W.J., Fairchild, I.J., Leng, M.J., Thomas, L. & Sloane, H.J., 2011. A 500 yr speleothem-derived reconstruction of late autumn-winter precipitation, North East Turkey. Quaternary Research, 75, 399-405
20. Murphy, K. R., Hambly, A., Singh, S., Henderson, R. K., Baker, A., Stuetz, R. M., and Khan, S. J. 2011. Spectral uniformity in PARAFAC decompositions of organic matter fluorescence in municipal water recycling schemes. Environmental Science and Technology, 45, 2909-2916.
21. Blyth, A.J., Thomas, L.E., Calsteren, P.V. and Baker, A., 2011. A 2000 year lipid biomarker record preserved in a stalagmite from NW Scotland. Journal of Quaternary Science, 26, 326-334
22. Bieroza, M., Baker, A. and Bridgeman, J., 2011. Classification and calibration of organic matter fluorescence data with multi-way analysis methods and artificial neural networks: an operational tool for improved drinking water treatment. Environmetrics, 22, 256-270
23. Dominguez-Villar, D., Carrasco, R.M., Pedraza, J., Fairchild, I.J. and Baker, A., 2010. Efecto en la temperatura de las visitas de turistas en la Cueva del Águila, Ávila. Valoración de la viabilidad de la cueva para el estudio de sus condiciones naturals. Geogaceta, 49, 43-46.
24. Hartland, A., Fairchild, I.J., Lead, J.R. and Baker, A., 2010. Fluorescent properties of organic carbon in cave dripwaters: effects of filtrations, temperature and pH. Science of the Total Environment. 23, 5940-5950.
25. Dominguez-Villar, D., Fairchild, I.J., Carrasco, R.,M., Pedraza, J. and Baker, A., 2010. The effect of visitors in a touristic cave and the resulting constraints on natural thermal conditions for palaeoclimate studies (Eagle Cave, central Spain). Acta Carsologica, 39, 491-502.
26. Carstea, E.M., Baker, A., Bieroza, M., Ryenolds, D.M., 2010. Continuous fluorescence excitation-emission monitoring of river organic matter. Water Research, 44, 5356-5366.
27. Baker, A., Asrat, A., Fairchild, I.J., Leng, M.J., Thomas, L.E., Widmann, W., Jex, C., Dong, B., Calsteren, P.V. and Bryant, C. 2010. Decadal scale rainfall variability in Ethiopia recorded in an annually laminated, Holocene-age, stalagmite. The Holocene, 20, 827-836.
28. Bradley, C., Baker, A., Jex, C. and Leng, M.J., 2010. Hydrological uncertainties in the modelling of cave drip-water d18O and the implications for stalagmite palaeoclimate reconstructions Quaternary Science Reviews, 29, 2201-2214.
29. Hambly, A., Henderson, R., Storey, M.V., Baker, A., Stuetz, R.M and Khan, S.J. 2010. Fluorescence monitoring at a recycled water treatment plant and associated dual-distribution system - implications for cross-connection detection. Water Research, 44, 5323-5333.
30. Spencer, R.G.M., Hernes, P.J., Ruf, R., Baker, A., Dyda, R.Y., Stubbins, A. and Six, J., 2010. Temporal controls on dissolved organic matter and lignin biogeochemistry in a pristine tropical river, Democratic Republic of Congo. Journal of Geophysical Research - Biogeosciences, 115, G03013
31. Hartland, A., Fairchild, I.J., Lead, J.R., Dominguez-Villar, D., Baker, A., Gunn, J., Baalousha, M. and Ju-Nam, Y., 2010. The dripwaters and speleothems of Poole’s Cavern: a review of recent and ongoing research. Cave and Karst Science, 36, 37-46.
32. Baker, A. and Bradley, C., 2010. Modern stalagmite ?18O: Instrumental calibration and forward modelling. Global and Planetary Change, 71, 201-206
33. Jex, C.N., Baker, A., Fairchild, I.J., Eastwood, W.J., Leng, M.J., Sloane, H.J., Thomas, L. and Bekaro?lu, E., 2010. Calibration of speleothem ?18O with instrumental climate records from Turkey. Global and Planetary Change, 71, 207-217.
34. Bieroza, M.Z., Bridgeman, J. and Baker, A., 2010. Fluorescence spectroscopy as a tool for determination of organic matter removal efficiency at water treatment works. Drinking Water Engineering Science, 3, 63-70
35. Muller, C.L., Kidd, C., Fairchild, I.J. and Baker, A. 2010. Investigation into clouds and precipitation over an urban area using micro rain radars, satellite remote sensing and fluorescence spectrophotometry. Atmospheric Research, 96, 241-255.
36. Wynn, P.M., Fairchild, I.J., Frisia, S., Spötl, C., Baker, A., Borsato, A., and EIMF, 2010. High-resolution sulphur isotope analysis of speleothem carbonate by secondary ionisation mass spectrometry. Chemical Geology, 271, 101-107
37. Hambly, A.C., Henderson, R.K., Baker, A., Stuetz, R.M. and Khan, S.J., 2010. Fluorescence monitoring for cross-connection detection in water reuse systems: Australian case studies. Water Science and Technology, 61, 155-162.
38. Dominguez-Villar, D., Fairchild, I.J., Baker, A., Wang, X., Edwards, R.L. and Cheng, H., 2009. Oxygen isotope precipitation anomaly in the North Atlantic region during the 8.2 ka event. Geology, 37, 1095-1098
39. Singh, S., Henderson, R.K., Baker, A., Stuetz, R.M., and Khan, S.J., 2009. Distinguishing stage 1 and 2 reverse osmosis permeates using fluorescence spectroscopy. Water Science and Technology, 60, 2017-2023.
40. Hudson, N., Baker, A., Reynolds, D.M., Carliell-Marquet, C. and Ward, D., 2009. Changes in freshwater organic matter fluorescence intensity with freezing/ thawing and dehydration/ rehydration, J. Geophys. Res., 114, G00F08
41. Bieroza, M., Baker, A., and Bridgeman, J., 2009. Exploratory analysis of excitation-emission matrix fluorescence spectra with self-organizing maps as a basis for determination of organic matter removal efficiency at water treatment works, J. Geophys. Res., 114, G00F07
42. Wannamaker, A.D. Jr., Baker, A., Butler, P.G., Richardson, C.A., Scourse, J.D., Ridgway, I., Reynolds, D.J. 2009. A novel method for imaging internal growth patterns in marine mollusks: A luminescence case study on the aragonitic shell of the marine bivalve Arctica islandica (Linnaeus). Limonology and Oceanography: Methods, 7, 673-681.
43. Spencer, R.G., Stubbins, A., Hernes, P., Baker, A., Mopper, K., Aufdenkampe, A., Dyda, R., Mwamba, V., Mangangu, A., Wabakanghanzi, J. and Six, J., 2009. Photochemical degradation of dissolved organic matter and dissolved lignin phenols from the Congo River. Journal of Geophysical Research - Biogeosciences, 114, G03010
44. Carstea, E.M., Baker, A., Pavelescu, G. and Boomer, I., 2009. Continuous fluorescence assessment of organic matter variability on the Bournbrook River, Birmingham, UK. Hydrological Processes, 23, 1927-1946.
45. Trouet, V., Esper, J., Graham, N.E., Baker, A., Scourse, J.D. and Frank, D.C., 2009. Persistent positive North Atlantic Oscillation mode dominated the Medieval Climate Anomaly. Science, 324, 78-80
46. Manciulea, A., Baker, A. and Lead, J.R., 2009. A fluorescence quenching study of the interaction of Suwannee River fulvic acid with iron oxide nanoparticles. Chemosphere, 76, 1023-1027.
47. Linge, H., Baker, A., Andersson, C. and Lauritzen, S.E., 2009. Variable luminescent lamination and initial 230Th/232Th activity ratios in a late Holocene stalagmite from northern Norway. Quaternary Geochronology, 4, 181-192.
48. Bieroza, M., Baker, A. and Bridgeman, J., 2009. Relating freshwater organic matter fluorescence to organic carbon removal efficiency in drinking water treatment. Science of the Total Environment, 407, 1765-1774
49. Roe, J., Baker, A. and Bridgeman, J., 2009. Relating organic matter character to trihalomethane formation potential: a data mining approach. Water Science and Technology: Water Supply, 8, 717-723.
50. Henderson, R.K., Baker, A., Murphy, K.R., Hambly, A., Stuetz, R.M. and Khan, S.J., 2009. Fluorescence as a potential monitoring tool for recycled water systems: a review. Water Research, 43, 863-881
51. Thacker, S.A., Tipping, E., Gondar, D. and Baker, A., 2008. Functional properties of DOM in a stream draining blanket peat. Science of the Total Environment, 407, 566-573.
52. Baker, A., Tipping, E., Thacker, S.A. and Gondar, D., 2008. Relating dissolved organic matter fluorescence and functional properties. Chemosphere, 73, 1765-1772
53. Muller, C.L., Baker, A., Hutchinson, R., Fairchild, I.J. and Kidd, C., 2008. Analysis of rainwater dissolved organic carbon compounds using fluorescence spectrometry. Atmospheric Environment, 34, 8036-8045.
54. Pfeiffer, E, Pavelescu, G., Baker, A., Roman, C., Ioja, C., and Savastru, D., 2008. Pollution analysis on the Arges River using fluorescence spectroscopy. Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials, 10, 1489 – 1494.
55. Asrat, A., Baker, A., Leng, M.J., Gunn, J.and Umer, M., 2008. Environmental monitoring in the Mechara Caves, Southeastern Ethiopia: implications for speleothem paleoclimate studies. International Journal of Speleology, 37, 207-220.
56. Baker, A., Fuller, L., Genty, D., Fairchild, I.J., Jex, C. and Smith, C.L., 2008. Annually laminated stalagmites: a review. International Journal of Speleology, 37, 193-206.
57. Jex, C., Claridge, E., Baker, A. and Smith, C.L., 2008. Hyperspectral imaging of cave stalagmites. Quaternary International, 187, 5-14.
58. Baker, A., Bolton, L., Newson, M.D., and Spencer, R.G.M., 2008 Spectrophotometric properties of surface water dissolved organic matter in an afforested upland peat catchment. Hydrological Processes, 22, 2325-2336.
59. Henderson, R.K., Baker, A., Parsons, S.A. and Jefferson, B. 2008. Characterisation of algogenic organic matter extracted from cyanobacteria, green algae and diatoms. Water Research, 42, 3435-3445.
60. Blyth, A.J., Baker, A., Collins, M.J., Penkman, K.E.H., Gilmour, M.A., Moss, J.S., Genty, D. and Drysdale, R.N., 2008. Molecular organic matter in speleothems and its potential as an environmental proxy. Quaternary Science Reviews, 27, 905-921.
61. Wynn, P.M., Fairchild, I.J., Baker, A., Baldini, J.U.L. and McDermott, F., 2008. Isotopic archives of sulphate in speleothems. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 72, 2465-2477
62. Fuller, L., Baker, A., Fairchild, I.J., Spötl, C., Marca-Bell, A., Rowe, P. and Dennis, P.F., 2008. Isotope hydrology of dripwaters in a Scottish cave and implications for stalagmite palaeoclimate research. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 12, 1065-1074.
63. Hudson, N.J., Baker, A., Ward D., Brunsdon, C., Reynolds, D. Carliell-Marquet, C. and Browning, S., 2008. Fluorescence spectrometry as a surrogate for the BOD5 test in water quality assessment: an example from South West England. Science of the Total Environment, 391, 149-158.
64. Gondar, D., Thacker S.A., Tipping, E. and Baker, A., 2008. Functional variability of dissolved organic matter from a productive lake. Water Research, 42, 81-90.
65. Caseldine, C.J., McGarry, S.F., Baker, A., Hawkesworth, C. and Smart, P.L. 2008. Late Quaternary speleothem pollen in the British Isles. Journal of Quaternary Science, 23, 193-200.
66. Baker, A., Cumberland, S.A. and Hudson, N.J., 2008. Dissolved and total organic and inorganic carbon in some British rivers. Area, 40, 117-127.
67. Bradley, C., Baker, A., Cumberland, S.A., Boomer, I. and Morrissey, I.P., 2007. Dynamics of water movement and trends in dissolved carbon in a headwater wetland in a permeable catchment, Wetlands 27, 1066-1080.
68. Blyth, A.J., Asrat, A., Baker, A., Gulliver, P., Leng, M.J. and Genty, D., 2007. A new approach to detecting vegetation and land-use change using high-resolution lipid biomarker records in stalagmites. Quaternary Research, 68, 314-324
69. Cumberland, S.A. and Baker, A., 2007. The freshwater dissolved organic matter fluorescence – total organic carbon relationship. Hydrological Processes, 21, 2093-2099.
70. Seredynska-Sobecka, B., Baker, A. and Lead, J.R., 2007. Characterization of colloidal and particulate organic carbon in freshwaters by thermal fluorescence quenching. Water Research, 41, 3069-3076.
71. Spencer, R.G.M., Ahad, J.M.E., Baker, A., Cowie, G.L., Ganeshram, R., Upstill-Goddard, R.C. and Uher, G., 2007. The estuarine mixing behaviour of peatland derived dissolved organic carbon and its relationship to chromophoric dissolved organic matter in two North Sea estuaries (U.K.). Estuarine, Coastal Shelf Science, 74, 131-144.
72. Hudson, N.J., Baker, A. and Reynolds, D. 2007. Fluorescence analysis of dissolved organic matter in natural, waste and polluted waters – a review. Rivers Research, 23, 631-649.
73. Liu, R., Lead, J.R. and Baker, A., 2007. Fluorescence characterization of cross flow filtration derived freshwater colloidal and dissolved organic matter. Chemosphere, 68, 1304-1311.
74. Baker, A., Asrat, A., Fairchild, I.J., Leng, M.J., Wynn, P.M., Bryant, C., Genty, D. and Umer, M., 2007. Analysis of the climate signal contained within ?18O and growth rate parameters in two Ethiopian stalagmites. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 71, 2975-2988.
75. Spencer, R.G.M., Bolton, L. and Baker, A., 2007. Freeze/Thaw and pH effects on freshwater dissolved organic matter fluorescence and absorbance properties. Water Research, 41, 2941-2950
76. Baker, A., Elliott, S., and Lead, J.R., 2007. Effects of filtration and pH perturbation on organic matter fluorescence. Chemosphere, 67, 2035-2043.
77. Hammond, D.S., Chapman, L., Baker, A., Thornes, J.E. and Sandford, A., 2007. Fluorescence of road salt additives: potential applications for residual salt monitoring. Measurement Science and Technology 18, 239-244
78. Spencer, R.G.M., Baker. A., Uher, G. and Goddard, R., 2007. Discriminatory classification of natural and anthropogenic waters in two U.K. estuaries. Science of the Total Environment, 373, 305-323.
79. Asrat, A., Baker, A., Umer, M., Leng, M.J., van Calsteren, P. and Smith, C.L., 2007. A high-resolution multi-proxy stalagmite record from Mechara, Southeastern Ethiopia: Paleohydrological implications for speleothem paleoclimate reconstruction. Journal of Quaternary Science, 22, 53-63.
|Phone:||0450 148 648|